La Purisima Mission Historic
California Department of Parks and
La Purisima Mission was one of five missions established to convert the Chumash Indians to Catholicism and make them subjects under the King of Spain. The site chosen for La Purísima Mission was known to the Spanish as the plain of Rio Santa Rosa and by the Chumash as Algsacpi.
Misión La Purísima
Concepción De María Santísima (Mission of the Immaculate Conception of Most
Holy Mary) was founded by Father Presidente Fermin de Lasuén on December 8,
1787 and was the 11th of 21 Franciscan Missions in California.
The seismic evaluation included
recommendations for repair and seismic improvements to the adobe buildings,
which range in size from the 25x40 foot Monjerio building to the
Residence/Monastery building, which is 52x318 feet long. The evaluation
process included research of existing documents needed to determine the
unusual structural systems and consideration of the latest research into the
behavior of adobe buildings. Efforts focused on providing an adequate level
of seismic safety in the structures with a minimum of impact on the historic
fabric of the buildings.