Delaware Street Historic District
 

Berkeley, California

Architectural Services

National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark #35
(added 1978 - Alameda County - #78003520 )

 

The Berkeley Redevelopment Agency solicited private development of the historic Delaware Street side, which was Berkeley’s original commercial street on the edge of San Francisco Bay. The 800 block of Delaware Street is the location of the first settlement in Berkeley that grew into a true community.

 

In the 19th century, Delaware Street connected Jacob’s Landing (1853) with Bowen’s Inn (1854) on the old Contra Costa Road (now San Pablo Avenue). The block is a city historic district, and the pioneer feeling of the streetscape remains somewhat intact.

The community that developed in the vicinity of Delaware Street was called Ocean View, because from here the ocean was visible through the Golden Gate. Remnants of 19th-century Ocean View still exist.

Queen Anne houses and workmen’s cottages are scattered on surrounding streets. Some are still on their original lots, while others were moved or raised to accommodate new uses.

A turn-of-the-century streetscape was recreated from old maps by Kemp and Kemp Architects in 1987.  

 

A mixed-use commercial and residential (live/work) project was then developed. Combining historic rehabilitation and new construction replication, thirty-three condominium units were created in nineteen buildings. 


Eight low income  (Section 8) apartments were also included in the project on a separate parcel. Extensive community participation was involved and the project received a prestigious H.U.D. award for excellence.  Project cost in 1988 was $3.3 million.